Speeding up Mother Nature
SERVPRO Crews Drying Out Residential House
So often we hear “Can’t control Mother Nature;” But what if you could speed up the process of drying when your home or business suffers an unfortunate event such as water damage from putting out a fire or burst water pipe. Did you know there is an actual science behind the process of drying? Before reaching for the towels, a mop, and a few fans, read on to learn more about this process.
Psychometrics is essential to restoring a water damaged structure to it preloss condition. The SERVPRO® of Salem/Plaistow professionals are trained in this science of drying and follow strict industry approved standards to help lower the chances of secondary damages. We will:
- Inspect the building to detect every component that is wet to help prevent secondary damage from happening.
- Measure how much moisture is in wet materials and monitor whether the materials are drying properly.
- Speed up Mother Nature by using professional drying equipment.
What does it mean to “speed up Mother Nature”? A wet building can often dry naturally because the environment always seeks equilibrium. When materials are wet, moisture will naturally move to drier air at the surface of the material, but only if the air is drier. The problem here is nature often takes too long and secondary damages may occur while the building is drying out.
Thankfully, the SERVPRO® of Salem/Plaistow professionals have the tools and equipment to help Mother Nature along to dry tough to reach places, hardwood floors, inside walls, and so much more. Using state of the art monitoring equipment and a proven scientific process we help speed up the drying process in your home or business. With the help of technology and our proprietary tool DryBookTM Mobile, you have the ability to know exactly where your property is in the drying process.
The bottom line? SERVPRO of Salem/Plaistow has the professional training and equipment to help make it “Like it never even happened.”
What to do when your home or business suffers a sewage damage
Clogged pipes can cause a big issues to your home or business.
Sewage backups and black water intrusions are more than nasty, smelly, deposits. These damages also introduce harmful microorganisms into a structure. The SERVPRO® of Salem/Plaistow Professionals remove sewage, contaminants, and moisture, disinfecting as they clean.
If you find yourself in a situation where a sewage backup is in your home or business, here are a few tips to consider before starting cleanup.
- Avoid all contact with sewage and items contaminated by sewage.
- Wash your hands thoroughly after contact with contaminated items.
- Spread contaminated water by walking unnecessarily on damages or wet areas.
- Turn on HVAC system if there is a possibility of spreading contaminated air.
- Use household fans to dry the structure and spread contaminants.
- Use products for personal hygiene and cleanliness if exposed to the contaminated areas.
Be sure to call the Professionals at SERVPRO® of Salem/Plaistow at 603-893-9700. We are recognized as a leading restoration provider by hundreds of insurance companies. We offer fast and reliable remediation services to residential and commercial property owners.
The Do’s and Don’ts of Water Damage
Know how to protect your home or business!
Water is a vital element to our survival. We drink it, need it to shower and, to water our plants. We use it to wash clothes, clean bathtubs, and flush waste down the toilet. Just like when the power goes out, if we don’t have access to water, we are lost.
There as so many ways water can damage your home. A washing machine might overflow, a water heater might break, or a leaky pipe from the bathtub that has been slowly dripping for years has finally sent water gushing through two floors in your home. Now what?
Below are a few clean water do’s and don’ts to help put you at ease and limit the amount of damage. Do:
- Shut off water at the source if possible. If not, contact a qualified party as soon as possible.
- Turn off circuit breakers for wet areas only when access to the power source is safe from electrical shock.
- Remove as much excess water as possible by mopping and blotting.
- Wipe excess water from wood furniture after removing lamps and tabletop items.
- Remove and prop up wet upholstery cushions for even drying.
- Place aluminum foil or wood blocks between furniture legs and wet carpeting.
- Remove to a safe, dry place, any paintings, art objects, computers, documents, and other materials that are valuable or sensitive to moisture.
- Hang draperies with coated hangers to avoid contact with wet carpeting or floors.
- Enter rooms with standing water where electrical shock hazards my exist.
- Enter affected areas if electrical outlets, switches, circuit breakers or electrical equipment are exposed to water.
- Leave books, newspapers, magazines, or other colored items on wet carpets to cause staining.
- Leave oriental rugs or other colored rugs on wet wall-to-wall carpets to cause staining.
- Use your household vacuum cleaner to remove water, possibly causing electrical shock or damage to the vacuum cleaner.
- Use TVs or other appliances while standing on wet carpets or floors, especially not on wet concrete floors.
- Turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet or enter rooms where ceilings are sagging from retained water.
We at SERVPRO® of Salem/Plaistow are available 24/7 for emergency services. Call us at 603-893-9700 to schedule your no obligation quote today.
Meet Our Crew: Ralphie
Ralphie has a strong work ethic and is able to take charge of new jobs.
Rafael (Ralphie) Marquez is a Crew Chief with ERVPRO® and has completed our rigorous Employee Certification Training Program, the IICRC's Water and Fire Training along with the Mold Remediation course. This program teaches advanced cleaning and restoration techniques and how to properly use our state-of-the-art equipment. This training program also focuses on listening skills and customer service. Ralphie has a strong work ethic and is able to take charge of new jobs. He has been working with SERVPRO for three years. Ralphie's family includes his mom and two sisters. When not at work, he enjoys playing various sports.
Your Salem Business is In Good Hands with Us!
We’re a leader in giving control back to homeowners, property managers, and even entire communities after the ravaging effects of water or fire.
When fire or water damage puts the things that matter most on the line, you need the very best help on the line as well. That’s why knowing the easiest ways to contact SERVPRO® of Salem/Plaistow is so important. Just go to our website on your mobile phone or call 978-688-2242 to get the team that’s faster to any size disaster. We’re a leader in giving control back to homeowners, property managers, and even entire communities after the ravaging effects of water or fire. So whether you’re responsible for 1,000 square feet or 100,000 – be ready for the worst with the very best.
Here are 8 reasons why your company should get an Emergency Ready Profile® today on every one of your buildings.
- A no-cost assessment of your facility.
- A concise Profile document that contains only the critical information needed in the event of an emergency.
- A guide to help you get back into your building following a disaster.
- Establishes your local SERVPRO® Franchise Professional as your disaster mitigation and restoration provider.
- Identification of the line of command for authorizing work to begin.
- Provides facility details such as shut-off valve locations, priority areas, and priority contact information.
SERVPRO® of Salem/Plaistow is part of a Franchise System that has more than 50 years of leadership in cleanup and restoration. Our track record of results has earned us the trust of the insurance industry, countless homeowners, and in one unforgettable instance, even the Pentagon. We are quietly taking to the streets, every hour of every day, proving that whenever there is a house full of water or an office full of smoke, there is also a van full of clean.
Is SERVPRO of Salem/Plaistow Your Next Employer?
Are you the next SERVPRO of Salem/Plaistow Hero?
Our Franchise is seeking someone who is comfortable working hard in challenging situations, enjoys meeting new people, has excellent communication skills, and is a serious multi-tasker. If you are self-motivated and have superb interpersonal skills, then you’ll thrive in this work environment.
Are you highly dependable and super-excited about routinely exceeding expectations? Then you may be our perfect hero!
As a valued SERVPRO® Franchise employee, you will receive a competitive pay rate, with opportunity to learn and grow.
- Inventory and load the work vehicle with equipment, products, and supplies needed for each project.
- Maintain a clean and organized vehicle and clean equipment appearance.
- Prepare rooms/areas for work activities. Set up staging area and equipment for each project.
- Leave jobsite with a clean and orderly appearance.
- Perform production processes following SERVPRO® production guidelines per work order per crew chief directions.
- Ensure clear two-way communication with crew chief and other technicians (especially regarding customer needs and concerns).
- Perform end-of-day/end-of-job cleanup and breakdown.
- Leave jobsite with a clean and orderly appearance.
- Effective oral communication
- Basic math skills
- Experience in cleaning/restoration preferred
- High school diploma/GED
- IICRC certifications preferred
- Ability to lift a minimum of 50 pounds regularly, occasionally up to 100 pounds with assistance
- Ability to climb ladders, work at ceiling heights, work in tight spaces (e.g., crawls spaces, attics)
- Ability to sit/stand/walk for prolonged periods of time
- Ability to repetitively push/pull/lift/carry objects
- Ability to work with/around cleaning products/chemicals
- Ability to travel locally and out of state when necessary
- Ability to successfully complete a background check subject to applicable law
Pay Rate: Negotiable based on experience, with possibility of overtime pay and increases based on merit.
Please visit our website, www.SERVPROsalemplaistow.com, for additional information.
Job Type: Full-time
Required license or certification: Drivers License
SERVPRO® of Salem/Plaistow is an EOE M/F/D/V employer
Meet Our Crew: Freddie
Fredrick Sullivan (Freddie) is a Production Technician
Fredrick Sullivan (Freddie) is a Production Technician and has completed our rigorous SERVPRO Employee Certification Training Program. He is working his way into a Crew Chief position. This program teaches advanced cleaning and restoration techniques and how to properly use our state-of-the-art equipment. This training program also focuses on listening skills and customer service. In the past, Freddie has working in the construction industry and restored John Deer equipment. When not working, Freddie enjoys building gas powered remote controlled cars and then race them.
Preparing for the Storm that May Come to Salem, NH
IF A DISASTER STRIKES, WILL YOU BE READY?
It is important to prepare before a disaster occurs. Consider the following steps to better prepare for an emergency situation.
- Sign up for local alerts and warnings, download apps, and/or check access for wireless emergency alerts. - Use Rockingham Alerts, Rockingham County NH Weather Alerts , and your local towns to have up to date information
- Develop and test emergency communication plans with your coworkers and family to make sure everyone knows what to do.
- Assemble or update emergency supplies - including a gallon of water each day per person for at least 3 days, appropriate clothing for the time of year, non-perishable foods, etc.
- Learn about local hazards, and conduct a drill to practice emergency response actions.
- Participate in a preparedness discussion, training, or class.
- Collect and safeguard critical documents.
- Plan with neighbors to help each other and share resources.
- Document property and obtain appropriate insurance for relevant hazards.
- Make property improvements to reduce potential injury and property damage.
Knowing what to do in an emergency reduces the stress everyone feels. Take the time to prepare and in the long run, you and your family will be thankful!
National Day of Remembrance
People on a New York City street scan pictures of the many police and fire personnel still missing in the wake of the attacks as of September 28, 2001
In honor and memory of those who died on September 11, 2001, as well as the survivors and First Responders, National Day of Service and Remembrance was established in 2009 as a day of reflection.
Led by the Corporation for National and Community Service, this is a day to come together as Americans following the events of 9/11 to help neighbors in need and to honor veterans and First Responders in your community. On this day and everyday, SERVPRO of Salem/Plaistow salutes those heroes who arrive in the greatest times of need and stand strong in the face of disaster. These heroes are the First Responders who keep our communities safe in trying times.
Give back and make a difference in your community this year. To find a volunteer opportunity near you, or to register your National Day of Service and Remembrance event, visit nationalservice.gov/911day
- From the SERVPRO Restoration Newsline Volume 20, Issue 9
Understanding Fire Remediation in Plaistow, NH
Ask us to explain the various deodorization methods available and which will work best for you.
Fire or smoke damage is just as disruptive as water damage, though sometimes you can't see it as well. After the damage, ceilings, walls, woodwork, carpeting, floors and many contents will often need a thorough cleaning. Beyond that, a deodorization may need to take place.
SERVPRO® of Salem/Plaistow provides specialized services that rid your home or place of business of offensive odors left by fire or smoke damage. We do not merely cover up lingering odors with a fragrance; we seek out the sources of the odor and remove them. Ask us to explain the various deodorization methods available and which will work best for you.
SERVPRO® of Salem/Plaistow will be there throughout the remediation and restoration process to help. We work neatly and efficiently to help you regain control of our property when a damaging event has taken over. When in need, call SERVPRO® of Salem/Plaistow, (603) 893-9700, to help make it “Like it never even happened.”