When disaster threatens a community...
No matter what part of the country you call home, we want to ensure you are prepared for any type of disaster.
When disaster threatens a community, it is often too late to take the necessary steps to prepare homes, businesses and family members for the situation. Whether it's a blizzard, flood, hurricane or wildfire, disasters of all types often give little to no warning before they strike. The time to prepare for a storm is not as it approaches-the time to prepare is now.
No matter what part of the country you call home, we want to ensure you are prepared for any type of disaster. Whether you have damage caused by a hurricane, tornado, flash flood, or any other reason, SERVPRO® of Salem/Plaistow have the resources, experience and training to help get your doors reopened for business as soon as possible.
If your property suffers a fire or water damage, SERVPRO® of Salem/Plaistow will be ready to help you make it "Like it never even happened."
We recommend always having an emergency kit on hand whether it is for your home or business. These can even be kept in your car. Here are some items to help you build your own emergency kit
- Water (one gallon per person per day)
- Food (non-perishable 3-day supply)
- Manual can opener
- Battery operated radio, preferably a NOAA Weather Radio
- Flashlight and extra batteries
- First aid kit
- Whistle to signal for help
- Dust masks or bandanas
- Plastic sheeting, garbage bags and duct tape
- Wrench or pliers to turn off utilities
- Hygiene items
- Important documents; copies of insurance policies, identification and bank account information
- Fire extinguisher
- Matches in a waterproof container
As always, to learn more about how SERVPRO® of Salem/Plaistow can help your business survive a disaster, please call us 603-893-9700.
What about those smaller storms?
As business owners preparation is key no matter what Mother Nature has up her sleeve.
We all know how to handle those big winter storms. You know the ones the news predicts a week out that has you rushing to the grocery store to get milk and bread because we are all convinced we will be in our house for days. The storms that bring feet of snow to our area, no school for days, and state of emergency to keep nonessential personal off the roads. You could lose power, which could cause food spoilage or frozen pipes… and let’s not forget if there is a quick warm up right behind it, you could experience flooding. The nice thing about these larger storms is that they give us time to prepare.
BUT what about the smaller storms? The ones that only bring a coating, inch or two of sleet, snow or ice? The ones that they always say won’t cause much of an impact?
Did you know these smaller, less significant storms can actually cause a greater impact to your home and business? Why? Because we don’t prepare as much. We are told they won’t be as big so we tend not to stress as much and let our guard down.
So... what can you do?
- Have a list of your vendors and an emergency ready profile (ERP) completed on your business as an additional add to your continuity plan. It saves you time, in the event this “insignificant storms” turns out to be a really big deal.
- Just because there is a storm coming, your business operations cannot come to a halt. Set clear expectations for those in authority as well as non-critical employees in the event an emergency does occur. Is your emergency plan communicated by text, email, or phone call? Is everyone aware of this? It may also be beneficial to subscribe to and send out public transportation updates so no employees are left stranded at your office. Likewise is it acceptable for your employees to arrive late or leave early to ensure their safety?
- With smaller storms we tend to not walk the perimeter of our business to inspect for damage or ice accumulation. By not doing this, it can lead to larger issues down the road or worse, a customer becoming injured. It is always a good practice no matter how large or small the storm might be to inspect your property and document everything. You never know when your insurance may need that information.
In the end, the size of the storm shouldn’t matter. As business owners preparation is key no matter what Mother Nature has up her sleeve. Contact your sales and marketing representative to learn more about the emergency ready profile (ERP) and how it could benefit your business.
Preparing for a Fire, Large or Small
If your home or business ever suffers fire damage, in anyway, please let us help you make it "Like it never even happened."
While not popular in Salem or Plaistow area, a wildfire can occur anywhere-in fact, in 2014, wildfire occurrences were recorded in all 50 states. What is a wildfire? It is an unplanned, unwanted fire burning in a natural area, such as a forest, grassland, or prairie. A wildfire can destroy homes, businesses, agriculture, and damage natural resources while threatening the safety of the public and the firefighters who protect our forests and communities.
Wildfires or just fires in general, can occur at any time throughout the year, but the potential is always higher during periods with little or no rainfall, which make brush, grass, and trees dry and burn more easily. High winds can also contribute to spreading the fire.
If you live or work in an area prone to wildfires, consider the following safety tips to help prevent the spread of wildfire.
Fire Safety Tips
- Clear leaves and other debris from gutters, eaves, porches and decks. Remove dead vegetation from under your deck and within 10 feet of the house. This prevents embers from igniting your home.
- Remove anything stored underneath decks or porches. Screen or box-in areas below patios and decks with wire mesh to prevent debris from accumulating.
- Ensure flammable materials (firewood stacks, propane tanks, and dry vegetation) are more than 30 feet from your home or business's foundation and outbuildings.
- Wildfire can spread to tree tops. If you have trees on your property, prune so the lowest branches are 6 to 10 feet from the ground.
- Keep your lawn hydrated and maintained. If it is brown, cut it down to reduce fire intensity. Dry grass and shrubs are fuel for wildfire.
If your home or business ever suffers fire damage, in anyway, please let us help you make it "Like it never even happened." SERVPRO® of Salem/Plaistow is here to help and can be reached at 603-893-9700.
When Every Second Counts
Facilities with well-prepared employees and well-developed plans are likely to incur less structural damage and fewer or less severe employee injuries
Worrying about the cleanup and restoration can be stressful, and many home and business owners are left with a feeling of helplessness and uncertainty. SERVPRO's Franchise Professionals know restoring peace of mind is just as important as restoring property.
SERVPRO® of Salem/Plaistow wants to be there in your time of need, helping you and your customers piece their lives back together.
Our goal is simple:
In an emergency situation, like a building fire, every second counts. How quickly you respond could depend on how prepared you are before the emergency. Emergency planning and training directly influence the outcome of an emergency situation. Facilities with well-prepared employees and well-developed plans are likely to incur less structural damage and fewer or less severe employee injuries.
When preparing a fire evacuation plan, it is important to designate multiple evacuation routes and exits. This ensures more than one way to exit the building, should an exit be blocked by fire. When choosing emergency exits, consider the following recommendations.
- Exits should be clearly marked and well
- Exit routes should be wide enough to accommodate the number/volume of evacuating person
- Exit routes should remain unobstructed and clear of debris at all times.
If you prepare drawings that show evacuation routes and exits, post them prominently for all employees to see. Once an escape plan is created, it should be practiced to help familiarize staff with emergency exit routes. It is important to talk to your local fire department, as local codes may require more frequent drills for various facilities.
SERVPRO® of Salem/Plaistow can help with emergency planning by establishing an Emergency READY Profile, (ERP), for your facility. For more information about the ERP or emergency planning, contact
SERVPRO® of Salem/Plaistow 603-893-9700.
When Waters Come Flooding, Stay Away!
Photo Credit: NHPR
Floods rank as one of the most common and widespread natural disasters in the United States. Whether you live near a coastline, along city streets, in the mountains, near a river or even in the desert, there is a potential for suffering from flood damage.
Just because you haven't experienced a flood in the past, doesn’t mean you won't in the future. In fact, 20% of all claims paid by the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) were for policies in low-risk communities. On average, floods cost $3 billion in annual losses in the United States. Commercial flood claims average more than $75,000.
According to the American Red Cross (ARC), floods cause more damage in the U.S. every year than any other weather-related disaster. The ARC offers the following flood safety tips.
- Stay away from floodwaters. If you come up on a flowing scream where water is above your ankles, stop, rum around and go another Six inches of swiftly moving water can sweep you off of your feet.
- If you approach a flooded road while driving, turn around and go another way. If you are caught on a flooded road and waters are rising rapidly around you, get out of the car quickly and move to higher ground. Most cars can be swept away by less than two feet of moving water.
- Keep children out of the water. They are curious and often lack judgment about run ning water or contaminated water. Keep your pets out of the water too.
If a flood does strike your home or business, contact SERVPRO® of Salem/Plaistow. Even minor floods have the potential to cause major damage to a structure when not treated quickly and properly, and the cleanup is often an overwhelming task. The SERVPRO® System is prepared to handle any sized disaster. The sooner work begins, the sooner order can be restored.
When fire and water take control of your life, SERVPRO® of Salem/Plaistow will help you take it back.
Photo Credit: NHPR
We Understand the Stress of Mold
Although every mold damage scenario is different requiring a unique solution, the general mold remediation process stays the same.
When there's some sort of water intrusion into your home that goes untreated, mold can quickly become a problem in your home. Mold can possibly cause health effects (ask your doctor for details) and can also cause significant damage to your property. Fortunately, SERVPRO® of Salem/Plaistow has the training, protective gear, and specialized equipment necessary to handle your mold problem. Although every mold damage scenario is different requiring a unique solution, the general mold remediation process stays the same. The following steps illustrate a "typical" mold removal process.
Call 603-893-9700 for help with your mold remediation needs.
The mold cleanup and restoration process begins when you call SERVPRO® of Salem/Plaistow. A representative will ask a series of questions to help determine the necessary equipment, resources, and personnel needed.
Inspection and Damage Assessment
Your property will be carefully inspected for signs of mold using technology designed to detect mold and hidden water sources. Mold feeds on cellulose and water and can be hidden from plain view.
Various containment procedures will be placed to prevent the spread of mold and isolate the contaminated area with physical barriers and negative air pressure to keep the mold spores from spreading during the cleanup process.
Specialized filtration equipment captures microscopic mold spores out of the air. SERVPRO® technicians utilize powerful air scrubbers and HEPA vacuums to prevent the spread of these mold spores while the mold remediation is in progress.
Removing Mold and Mold-Infested Materials The mold remediation process depends on the amount of mold growth and the types of surfaces on which the mold appears. Antifungal and antimicrobial treatments will be used to eliminate mold colonies and help prevent new colonies from forming. Removing and disposing of mold-infested porous materials, like drywall and flooring, may be necessary to remediate heavy mold growth.
Cleaning Contents and Belongings SERVPRO® Franchise Professionals clean your furniture, decorative items, curtains, and other restorable items affected by mold. They use a variety of cleaning techniques to clean and sanitize your belongings. They are also trained to remove odors and deodorization using fogging equipment.
Depending on the level of mold damage, drywall, subfloors, and other building materials may be removed. Restoration may involve minor repairs, such as replacing drywall, painting, and installing new carpet; or it may entail major repairs such as the reconstruction of various areas or rooms in a home or business.
SERVPRO® of Salem/Plaistow understands mold and mold growth and have the training and equipment to remediate mold in your home or business.
Keeping Your Home Safe From Mold
SERVPRO® of Salem/Plaistow has the equipment, training and experience to find and dry unseen water before secondary damages like mold occur.
Even small water damages have the potential to cause serious structural and microbial growth damage if left untreated.
The key to avoiding costly future restoration is to handle every water problem as a real threat to your property. SERVPRO® of Salem/Plaistow has the equipment, training and experience to find and dry unseen water before secondary damages like mold occur. The proper equipment makes a measurable difference in reducing the damage expense during a fire or water loss.
SERVPRO® of Salem/Plaistow will answer your call with fast action and a full arsenal of drying equipment. Here are a few of the tools used by your local SERVPRO® Franchise Professionals.
- Moisture Sensors are used to detect moisture in carpets, baseboards and Moisture Meters (pictured) are used to determine the actual moisture content of various materials. The moisture tester provides accurate readings, allowing SERVPRO® Franchise Professionals to monitor the drying process.
- Thermohygrometers measure temperature and relative humidity. When armed with this information, SERVPRO® of Salem/Plaistow can calculate and create an environment most conclusive to drying.
- When facing a contaminated water loss, it is not only important to dry the structure, but the structure must also be disinfected and often deodorized.
- Ultra-Low-Volume (ULV) Foggers will atomize liquid deodorizing agents, producing a fine mist that can easily penetrate the site where odor-causing residues may accumulate. This device can also be used to inject fungicides and disinfectants into wall cavities and other hard-to-reach
- Thermal Foggers (pictured) dispense solvent-based produces by creating a dense fog. The fog consists of tiny particles of deodorant solution that attach to and neutralize odor causing particles.
What is the bottom line? SERVPRO® of Salem/Plaistow (603-893-9700) has the training and equipment to help make it "Like it never even happened."
Mold & You: What Can You Expect
Organic materials found inside a building, such as wood, paper, drywall and insulation, provide food sources for mold to flourish.
Fungi and mold naturally occur in our environment. In fact, over 100,000 kinds of fungi have been identified.
Fungi produce some very useful results. Yeast is a type of fungi used in breads, baked goods and other food products, including some alcoholic beverages. The unique flavor of blue cheese is a result of mold. An edible mushroom is simply a type of fungi, and lifesaving penicillin is a product of mold (Penicillin chrysogenum).
Even though some forms of mold can add value to our lives, other forms can be harmful. Excessive amounts of mold, different types of mold, and/or exposure to molds may present health concerns for some people.
Intrusion of water into your home or place of business can result in mold growth. Water intrusions can result from storm damage, plumbing or equipment failures, long-standing leaks and poor humidity control. When water intrusions are not addressed right away, the resulting damage can present increased risk of harmful mold growth. Some amount of mold spores is normally present in most environments. If the humidity and moisture levels in water-damaged environments are not promptly returned to normal, mold spores may grow and multiply. Organic materials found inside a building, such as wood, paper, drywall and insulation, provide food sources for mold to flourish. Excessive mold growth can lead to indoor environmental conditions that pose a health threat.
If you are in need of mold remediation services, please contact SERVPRO of Salem/Plaistow to schedule an appointment or call 603-893-9700. We are here to make it "Like it never even happened."
Restore vs. Replace
Wouldn’t it just be easier and faster to demolish and rebuild? They make it look so easy on all those TV shows, but is it covered by your insurance.
Restore vs. Replace
The goal at SERVPRO® of Salem/Plaistow on every disaster is to restore over replace. But why should you consider restoring over replacing? Isn’t this a great time to remodel and get that dream kitchen or bathroom you have always wanted? Wouldn’t it just be easier and faster to demolish and rebuild? I mean they make it look so easy on all those TV shows, but is it covered by your insurance policy?
- Restoration is much more cost-efficient than replacement. Did you know that it is more cost effective to restore your wet/damaged floor than it is to rip it up and replace it?
- Gives you peace of mind. Many items cannot be replaced, such as important documents, antique furniture, and family heirlooms. New is not always the better answer when it comes to memories.
- Saves time. Drying a wet floor will get you back to your preloss condition a lot sooner than, tearing out and laying down a new floor.
- It’s the preferred method of insurance companies. Insurance policies often have limits that cap the amount of a claim.
- Better for the environment. Everything that is ripped up and taken away needs to go somewhere.
If you find yourself in the middle of disaster, our trained, certified professionals are just a phone call away. We are available 24/7/365 and we work with your insurance company to manage the process and paperwork. SERVPRO® of Salem/Plaistow would love the opportunity to work with you to make it “Like it never even happened.”
Arson, Vandalism, Methamphetamine Labs, and Blood borne Pathogens
SERVPRO® of Salem/Plaistow Professionals has the necessary tools to safely complete these jobs so that it is safe for all to return.
Blood borne Pathogens
We remove and dispose of bodily fluids, tissue, and other pathogenic substances resulting from accident, trauma, crime, or death. Trained Professionals thoroughly clean, disinfect, and deodorize the structure.
Many of the chemicals used in the production of illegal drugs are volatile and can leave harmful residues throughout at structure. We follow federal and state guidelines to clean all surfaces.
Arson and Vandalism
We are recognized as leaders at helping property owners recover quickly from fire and water damage. We also provide general cleaning and deodorization services for situations resulting from vandalism including graffiti, egg, spoiled foods, and human or animal waste.
SERVPRO® of Salem/Plaistow Professionals has the necessary tools to safely complete these jobs so that it is safe for all to return, whether it be home or to work.