Having fun while Being Safe
Living around many beautiful bodies of water like Canobie Lake in Salem, Cobbett’s Pond in Windham, or Country Pond in Kingston can be both a blessing and a curse as these can aid in causing flooding. Just because you haven’t experienced a flood doesn’t mean you won’t in the future. It happens fast and can happen anywhere. Having a plan for your home or business is critical for any severe weather event. Keep reading to learn more about protecting yourself, your business, and your property.
Develop a proper evacuation plan: Map out routes and mark areas or roads that might become unpassable due to flooding. If you approach a road or area that is flooded, turn around. Most cars can be swept away by less than 2 feet of moving water. If you are caught on a flooded road and waters are rising rapidly around you, get out of the car and move to higher ground.
Build an emergency care kit: Water, non-perishable food, battery powered radio, flashlights, first aid kit, personal hygiene items, cell phones and chargers, blankets, rain gear, extra clothing, baby supplies, copies of personal documents, and extra cash are some of the items to pack for you and your family. If you have pets don’t forget their supplies too!
Keep children out of the water: Kids are often curious and lack judgment or fear when it comes to water. Down powerlines and contaminated flooded areas add additional safety risks. Keep children close to you for their safety.
Keep SERVPRO of Salem/Plaistow in mind if waters arise and trouble comes your way! We are always here to help! 603.893.9700
Fire Restoration Services Customized to your Home
A fire or smoke damage can be very stressful event for any property owner. Physical damage can have enormous monetary impacts but those usually pail into comparison to the emotional impacts. This is where SERVPRO can help! Fast mitigation is the key to controlling damage, while reducing downtime and recovery costs. Here at SERVPRO® of Salem/Plaistow, understand how disruptive fires can be for business & home owners. Our service response guidelines can help prevent fire damage from creating long-term problems and lastly emotional scars.
Our Fire Damage Restoration Services
Since each smoke and fire damage situation is unique, each one requires a unique solution tailored for the specific conditions. We have the equipment, expertise, and years of experience to restore your property after fire and smoke damage. SERVPRO® of Salem/Plaistow will always treat you, your family, tenants and treasured items with care and respect.
Have Questions about Fire, Smoke, or Soot Damage?
Call Us Today – (603) 893-9700
Strong Roof is a Good Foundation
The right roof for your home in and around Salem, NH can not only look good, but always can protect your home during a storm. Here, we share a blog from Budget Dumpster on how to pick the right roof for you.
"Types of Roof Shingles
Of all the different types of shingles, these are the most commonly used because they’re the least expensive and relatively easy to install. These shingles are made of fiberglass mats coated with asphalt containing sand-like granules.
The downside: Asphalt shingles have a relatively short life span of 20 to 30 years, and they don’t fare well in areas where the temperature fluctuates unexpectedly, such as the Midwest.
Why choose asphalt roofing shingles? They’re the most economical of roofing options and come in plenty of styles and color selections.
This type of roof is made with many different materials – aluminum, steel, copper, zinc and titanium. If properly maintained, your metal roof could last as long as 50 years. You may want to consider metal if your home’s roofline is flat or steep.
The downside: Metal roofing can become noisy whenever it’s hailing or raining.
Why choose metal roofing shingles? They’re durable, fireproof and good at shedding snow and ice.
Not only are slate shingles durable – lasting anywhere from 80 to 100 years – they are also highly resistant to water and physical damage.
The downside: In addition to their high price tag, slate is expensive to repair because very few roofing companies specialize in this particular type of shingle. Furthermore, slate is rather heavy and may not be a good fit if your home can’t handle the weight.
Why choose slate roofing shingles? They’re one of the longest-lasting types of roofing material you can choose, and on the right style of home, adds a nice visual appeal.
Aside from being durable and having a lifespan of 30 to 50 years, wood shingles are more environmentally friendly than other types. This type of roof shingle is usually made of cedar, but can also be made of other rot-resistant woods, such as redwood.
The downside: Although energy-efficient and long-lasting, wood shingles are less fire-resistant than other types. They’re also more susceptible to termites and mold.
Why choose wood roofing shingles? They’re visually appealing and generally cooler than other types of shingles that are darker in color."
For more information on your roof or Budget Dumpster, please visit their blog.
If your roof doesn't hold up in a storm and you are a victim of water damage, please call us at 603.893.9700, to make it "Like it never even happened."
Simple Tips everyone Should Follow!
While not popular in Salem or Pelham, NH area, a wildfire can occur anywhere-in fact, in 2014, wildfire occurrences were recorded in all 50 states. A wildfire can destroy homes, businesses, agriculture, and damage natural resources while threatening the safety of the public and the firefighters who protect our forests and communities.
Wildfires or just fires in general, can occur at any time throughout the year, but the potential is always higher during periods with little or no rainfall, which make brush, grass, and trees dry and burn more easily. High winds can also contribute to spreading the fire.
If you live or work in an area prone to wildfires, consider the following safety tips to help prevent the spread of wildfire.
Fire Safety Tips
- Clear leaves and other debris from gutters, eaves, porches and decks. Remove dead vegetation from under your deck and within 10 feet of the house. This prevents embers from igniting your home.
- Remove anything stored underneath decks or porches. Screen or box-in areas below patios and decks with wire mesh to prevent debris from accumulating.
- Ensure flammable materials (firewood stacks, propane tanks, and dry vegetation) are more than 30 feet from your home or business's foundation and outbuildings.
- Wildfire can spread to tree tops. If you have trees on your property, prune so the lowest branches are 6 to 10 feet from the ground.
- Keep your lawn hydrated and maintained. If it is brown, cut it down to reduce fire intensity. Dry grass and shrubs are fuel for wildfire.
If your home or business ever suffers fire damage, in anyway, please let us help you make it "Like it never even happened." SERVPRO® of Salem/Plaistow is here to help and can be reached at 603-893-9700.
SERVPRO can Paint a Town GREEN
When water damage happens to your property in Salem or Windham NH, knowing who to call is the first step in relieving some of the stress. But when a flooding occurs? It is even better to know that we at SERVPRO® of Salem/Plaistow have a network of other franchises to pull in the equipment, resources and man power needed to help the large losses. Here are 5 examples of how we were able to support our local Hampstead, NH communities and others across the country.
- A series of hail storms impacted central Texas causing damage to many homes, vehicles and businesses. There was considerable hail damage northeast of Austin, west of Georgetown and southwest of The Woodlands resulting in $1.2 Billion dollars in damages.
- The Siberian Express in 2015 created record breaking broken pipes and ice dams. 257 SERVPRO crews helped during these ice dams, with even SERVPRO of Salem/Plaistow calling in help from Alabama and Tennessee to help our home and business owners in and around Pelham, NH.
- In April of 2016, the southern states were engulfed in 2-4 inches of rain per hour. Eighty-one crews produced over 360 jobs in this historic event that left Harris County with 18 inches of rain.
- Hurricane Matthew in caused flooding the East Coast from Florida to North Carolina. One hundred sixty-nine crews mitigated over $7.5 million worth of damage to business owners and homeowners alike.
- Lastly, in East Tennessee, one of the largest wildfires in history struck the Great Smokey Mountains. Over 17,000 acres burned, and twelve crews came to the rescue to help the seventy families and businesses get the fire damage and soot under control.
SERVPRO® of Salem/Plaistow and these other teams can make any disaster “Like it never even happened.” We are there, no matter how big or small, call us 24/7/365 at 603.893.9700.
Many people are anxious to travel again now that many of the lock downs are lifted as a result of COVID-19. Hurricane season typically runs between June and November. Whether you travel to an area strongly affected by hurricanes, or you feel the after affects of wind and rain, it is important to be vigilant during this storm season. Keep this in mind if you venture away from your home in and around Pelham, NH or Plaistow, NH.
Below are some tips to follow whether you own a home, RV, boat, car or all of them! You can see a storm coming by the change in color of the sky (often greenish), large hail, low-flying clouds and a roar like a freight train.
- Your basement or under a set of stairs are great places to wait out the storm. If this is not available, the bottom floor of any building will work.
- During an emergency, gas stations will often be closed, so always make sure you have at least half a tank of gas to get away instantly
- Have enough supplies on hand to wait out 72 hours, just in case help cannot arrive right away. These supplies can also be stored in the trunk (items like a first aid kit, bottled water, non-perishable foods, and medication can stay there at all times.)
- Make sure your cell phone is charged and keep your charger with you.
- Avoid driving in deep waters
- For your boat, remove non-secure items, electronics, excess gear, valuable, and important documents.
- Make sure all openings are clear of debris
- With your RV, do not drive it during the storm as it is more vulnerable to higher/stronger winds
- Make sure all documents are in a waterproof bag and with you at all times
Life can be unpredictable, but having plans in place help you with whatever may come. For more information, please check out these hurricane tips. As always, once the storm passes, contact your SERVPRO of Salem/Plaistow to help make it “Like it never even happened.”
Summer Safety Fun
While this time of year is a great time to enjoy BBQs, fire pits, and fireworks, it is also a time to be wary of potential fire hazards that could impact your home or business in Kingston, NH.
Here are 6 tips to help keep your Summer fun AND safe!
- Keep a bucket of water or, as is required in many towns, a hose handy near your fire pit. If embers float out of your fire pit, or a log falls down from your bonfire stack and sets nearby foliage, paper, or other flammable materials aflame, you don’t want to be scrambling for a way to put the fire out.
- Supervise all fireworks that you are using (if fireworks are legal in your state, of course). Sparklers and pinwheels might seem “low risk,” but the reality is that there aren’t any fireworks out there that are safe enough for kids to use without adult supervision.
- It’s also important to ensure that no one tries to re-light fireworks that don’t work properly the first time. Dump these in a bucket of water and move on to the next package.
- Keep your grill or BBQ pit clean! Prevent accidental grease fires by cleaning out your pits or grease traps
- Inspect the area around your BBQ and campfire. It is important to make sure that you there is nothing flammable around where you are going to be lighting a fire. - Consider deck railings, overhanging, branches, dry grass, piles of dry wood and recycling, brush nearby
- When you will not be supervising the fire, make sure you put it out!
Thanks to American Alarm for this awesome information!
Keep us in mind if you are in the Windham, NH, Danville, NH or Salem, NH area! 603.893.9700
The Reason We Do what We Do.
Working for SERVPRO in the water restoration and recovery industry can be demanding. Having to deal with real life emergencies on a daily basis takes a toll on people. Its customers like the one featured below, that make all the challenges worth it and reminds us why we keep doing what we do; SERVPRO is HERE TO HELP!
A women called in to report a pipe break in her new home in Salem, NH. She had just moved from Plaistow, NH and was so upset that her new beautiful home has suffered a smoke damage. SERVPRO of Salem/Plaistow started the remediation process immediately and was able to clean and deodorize her home without disrupting her living situation. This homeowner was so grateful for our timely response and expertise she sent a huge bouquet of flowers to our office as a personal thank you for our services.
Everyone at SERVPRO is so grateful to play even a small role in help home and business owners recover from damages caused by burst pipes or floods. No job is too big or small for SERVPRO of Salem/Plaistow. Please call us today at 603893.9700 and ask about how we can help you!
How Can SERVPRO help your Business!
Completing an Emergency Service Plan establishes your SERVPRO of Salem/Plaistow as your disaster restoration provider, giving you access to over 44 years of experience servicing Plaistow, Kingston, Hampstead and other local areas in NH.
When it comes to your business, it is your pride and joy. You pray that a disaster never strikes, ruining all of your hard work.
Questions that run through your mind when disaster strikes, but is helpful to think of before that:
- Do you have an emergency plan in place? Does your staff know about it?
- Can you access your business records if they were destroyed?
“Small business owners invest a tremendous amount of time, money and resources to make their ventures successful, yet, many owners fail to properly plan and prepare for disaster situations." An estimated 50% of business do not reopen after a disaster has happened.
Creating a business plan for disaster will help protect employees, shorten the amount of time you may have to be out of work, and possibly lessen the financial impact it will have on you.
- Identify critical business systems – how long can they be down and what is needed to keep everything functioning.
- Create an emergency communication plan with all those who have a stake in your business.
- Build a supply kit that will keep your business and employees safe should you be at work when disaster strikes
- Work with SERVPRO of Salem/Plaistow to build an Emergency Ready Profile. This will provide the information for all emergency personnel that need to be contacted when disaster strikes and when our Team arrives on site, it gives the knowledge of your building before we even step in the door. This provides efficient and faster service for you!
For more information on how to help prepare your business for disaster, please contact us at 603.893.9700 or SERVPRO of Salem/Plaistow.
Here to Help!
When fire or water damage puts the things that matter most on the line, you need the very best help on the line as well. That’s why knowing the easiest ways to contact SERVPRO® of Salem/Plaistow is so vital. Just go to our website on your mobile phone or call 603.893.9700 to get the team that’s faster to any size disaster. We’re a leader in giving control back to homeowners, property managers, and even entire communities after the devastating effects of water or fire. So whether you’re responsible for 1,000 square feet or 100,000 – be ready for the worst with the very best.
Here are 8 reasons why your company should get an Emergency Ready Profile® today on every one of your buildings.
- A no-cost assessment of your facility.
- A concise Profile document that contains only the critical information needed in the event of an emergency.
- A guide to help you get back into your building following a disaster.
- Establishes your local SERVPRO® Franchise Professional as your disaster mitigation and restoration provider.
- Identification of the line of command for authorizing work to begin.
- Provides facility details such as shut-off valve locations, priority areas, and priority contact information.
SERVPRO® of Salem/Plaistow is part of a Franchise System that has more than 50 years of leadership in cleanup and restoration. Our track record of results has earned us the trust of the insurance industry, countless homeowners, and in one unforgettable instance, even the Pentagon. We are quietly taking to the streets, every hour of every day, proving that whenever there is a house full of water or an office full of smoke, there is also a van full of clean.