Flooding can happen anywhere, in any storm in your Salem/Plaistow Area
Many times, homeowners and business professionals alike do not know how to handle a flooding situation.
It is important to be prepared for when it does. Many times, homeowners and business professionals alike do not know how to handle a flooding situation. Besides calling a professional company, here are some quick facts about flooding and safety tips to keep in mind.:
- Most common and widespread natural disaster
- Most dangerous type is flash flooding
- At least 25% of business close their doors to never reopen after a flood
- Do not walk or driving through moving water.
- If need be, abandon the car and move to higher ground
- Floodwaters may be contaminated by oil, gasoline, raw sewage or more, so avoid it
- If your home is affected by floodwaters, it is important that everything is disinfected.
It is always better to have a professional handle the situation. When in doubt call or visit our page for more information.
Safety information provided by ready.gov
Storms Where SERVPRO Proved it is Always Ready to Help!
Our heroes are ready to help, near or far, small or large!
SERVPRO® has been on the scene for many large damages across the country. Having teams that can respond and help each other no matter where they are located is the benefit of being a company with franchises nationwide. Some of the events the company has been able to respond to are:
2011 North Dakota Floods
Helping over 400 residents, municipal buildings, hospitals, and business, SERVPRO® sent hundreds of crews to help
2011 Hurricane Irene/Tropical Storm Lee
The storms ranged from North Carolina to New England, and the Disaster Recovery Team®. About 1,000 crews took care of these states, helping return everything to normal.
2012 Hurricane Issac
This storm took on about five states and almost 100 franchises responded to help
2012 Hurricane Sandy
Sandy left her damage across 20 states and brought in 300 franchises, with 1000 crews coming across the country to help and sort through the damage.
2013 Alberta, Canada Floods
Over 120,000 residents were affected by these floods, and was the costliest storm to the country.
2013 Colorado Floods
The Disaster Recovery Team® responded to the towns surrounding the Colorado mountain communities to handle the damage from up to 17 inches of rain. 48 Franchises responded with 109 crews to take on the emergency response.
2014 Polar Vortex
39 States and 70% of the SERVPRO® franchises were affected by these lower than normal temperatures causing pipe breaks and more.
SERVPRO® of Salem/Plaistow is always ready to help, and call in the Disaster Recovery Team® where needed. When you are looking for help, give us a call.
Meet Our Crews in Your Salem/Plaistow SERVPRO
Our staff is highly trained in property damage restoration.
SERVPRO of Salem/Plaistow is available 24 hours a day for water emergencies, large or small. When you are dealing with water damage, immediate action is crucial. A delay of just a few hours can greatly increase the severity of the water damage.
We Answer the Phone Ready to Help
Call Today - 978-475-1199
We understand that when you call us, you may be feeling confused, stressed, and vulnerable. You need an expert to guide you through this crisis. SERVPRO of Salem/Plaistow has the specific water damage training and experience to help you through this tough time. We specialize in water damage restoration—in fact, it's the cornerstone of our business.
What to Expect
When you call, we will ask several questions regarding your water damage emergency. These questions will help us determine what equipment and resources to bring, including how many trained SERVPRO Professionals may be needed.
Our SERVPRO Representative will ask several questions:
- Your name and contact information
- Your insurance information (if applicable)
- The street address of the water-damaged home or business
- When did the flooding or water damage occur?
- What caused the water damage (if known)?
- Is there electricity available (on-site)?
About SERVPRO of The Andovers
SERVPRO of Salem/Plaistow specializes in the cleanup and restoration of residential and commercial property after a fire, smoke or water damage event. From initial and ongoing training at SERVPRO’s corporate training facility to regular IICRC-industry certification, rest assured our staff is equipped with the knowledge to restore your property.
Meet our crew
The Mold Remediation Process
Every mold infestation is different from the next, from the extent and type of growth, to the variety of materials affected.
Blog | SERVPRO Franchise Website Administration
This Plaistow family discovered extensive microbial growth in their home, thanks to a leaking pipe that went undetected for months. Believe it or not, mold problems like this can be mitigated with the right expertise and equipment to prevent further structural or health problems. SERVPRO of Salem/Plaistow has trained technicians that were able to test and remove the mold growth, and then restore the space to preloss conditions. The family was very grateful that we were able to recover their home and protect them from any potential health effects.
The Mold Remediation Process
Every mold infestation is different from the next, from the extent and type of growth, to the variety of materials affected. Each scenario requires a unique solution, but the general process stays the same. When you discover mold, call us at 603-893-9700 and we will go through our standard mold remediation process to help you and your family:
- Inspection and Mold Damage Assessment
- Mold Containment
- Air Filtration
- Removing Mold and Mold-Infested Materials
- Cleaning Contents and Belongings
Life can be unpredictable, but knowing who to call is half the battle. As always, contact SERVPRO of Salem/Plaistow at 603-893-9700 to help make it “Like it never even happened.”
Helping You Return to Business as Fast as Possible
Having such a network of help can help SERVPRO® of Lawrence make any disaster “Like it never even happened.”
When water damage happens, knowing who to call is the first step in relieving some of the stress. But when a flooding occurs? It is even better to know that we at SERVPRO® of Salem/Plaistow have a network of other franchises to pull in the equipment, resources and man power needed to help the large losses. Here are 5 examples of how we were able to support each other across the country.
- The Siberian Express in 2015 created record breaking sub-zero temperatures and broken pipes from Florida to Maine. 257 crews helped during these ice dams, with even SERVPRO of Lawrence working with teams from Alabama and Tennessee to help our homeowners.
- In April of 2016, Houston was engulfed in 2-4 inches of rain per hour. Eighty-one crews produced over 360 jobs in this historic event that left Harris County with 18 inches of rain.
- Over 830 jobs were created in 2016 during the Louisiana Flooding. Twenty + inches of rain caused rivers and other waterways to rise and flood Southern Louisiana. At least 185 crews from across the country helped get the community back in their pre storm condition.
- Hurricane Matthew in caused flooding the East Coast from Florida to North Carolina. One hundred sixty-nine crews mitigated over $7.5 million worth of damage to business owners and homeowners alike.
- Lastly, in East Tennessee, one of the largest wildfires in history struck the Great Smokey Mountains. Over 17,000 acres burned, and twelve crews came to the rescue to help the seventy families and businesses get the fire damage and soot under control.
SERVPRO® of Salem/Plaistow and these other teams can make any disaster “Like it never even happened.” We are there, no matter how big or small, call us 24/7/365 at 978-688-2242.
Emergency Fire Tips for Homeowners and Business Owners
After the work has been completed, a final walk-through will be conducted with you to help ensure your satisfaction.
The first 48 hours after fire damage can make the difference between restoring versus replacing your property and personal belongings. SERVPRO® of Salem/Plaistow can help prevent fire damage from creating long-term problems. We provide timely response with mitigation services ranging from fire, smoke and soot removal to contents claims inventory and document restoration. We will work neatly and efficiently to help you regain control of your property when a damaging event has taken over. They will use state-of-the-art restoration techniques to ensure your property is taken care of right the first time and are restored to preloss condition when possible.
- Limit movement to prevent further damage
- Place clean towels or old linens on carpeted traffic areas to prevent more soiling
- If electricity is off, empty freezer and refrigerator and prop doors open
- Clean and protect chrome on kitchen and bathroom faucets and appliances with light coating of petroleum jelly
- Don’t attempt to wash any walls or painted surfaces without first contacting SERVPRO®
- Don’t attempt to shampoo carpet or upholstered furniture without first consulting SERVPRO®
- Don’t attempt to clean any electrical appliances that may have been close to fire or water damage without consulting a repair service.
- Place aluminum foil or wood blocks between furniture legs and wet carpet
- Do not send clothing to a dry cleaner since improper cleaning may set smoke odor.
So before you risk doing further damage by attempting to clean up the damage yourself, call the fire damage cleanup and restoration professionals at (603) 893-9700. SERVPRO® of Salem/Plaistow has worked for over 40 years to help make fire damage “Like it never even happened.”
Hurricane Season is Upon Us!
Hurricane: an intense tropical weather system of strong thunderstorms with a surface circulation and maximum sustained winds of at least 74 MPH.
Hurricane season stars in June, and will continue for several months. When the warnings come, make sure you are prepared! Below are some tips to follow whether you own a home, RV, boat, car or all of them! You can see a storm coming by the change in color of the sky (often greenish), large hail, low-flying clouds and a roar like a freight train.
- It is best to have a plan in place regarding where you are going to go when a hurricane hits. While they may be intriguing to watch, the best place is NOT outside. Your basement or under a set of stairs are great places to wait out the storm. If this is not available, the bottom floor of any building will work.
- Keep your car indoors if possible. Tape up the windows and door with tarps and keep away from any objects that could damage the car if they were to fall on top of it.
- During an emergency, gas stations will often be closed, so always make sure you have at least half a tank of gas to get away instantly
- Have enough supplies on hand to wait out 72 hours, just in case help cannot arrive right away. These supplies can also be stored in the trunk (items like a first aid kit, bottled water, non-perishable foods, and medication can stay there at all times.)
- Make sure your car is in proper shape. Have a full tank of gas, wiper blades and tires are ready to go.
- Make sure your cell phone is charged and keep your charger with you.
- Avoid driving in deep waters
- For your boat, remove non-secure items, electronics, excess gear, valuable, and important documents.
- Make sure all openings are clear of debris
- Double all lines that are securing your boat to its securing space
- With your RV, do not drive it during the storm as it is more vulnerable to higher/stronger winds
- Make sure you have a full tank of gas, but empty holding tanks, turn off propane cylinders and cover the regulator.
- Make sure all documents are in a waterproof bag and with you at all times
Life can be unpredictable, but having plans in place help you with whatever may come. Rain, wind, and other conditions can be extremely damaging, but following some of these tips will help lessen the burden after the storm. For more information, please check out these hurricane tips. As always, once the storm passes, contact your SERVPRO of Salem/Plaistow at 603-893-9700 to help make it “Like it never even happened.”
Behind the Scenes: What Our Tools Can Do for You.
The meters can determine if materials are wet below the surface, potentially causing more damage that you are unaware of.
You have been away for two weeks on vacation, you arrive home at 9pm on a Sunday night and what do you want do? Probably get home, relax, and call it a night. But when you walk in and a pipe has burst while you are gone? That changes everything.
In order to save money, people can sometimes use their own tools to stop and dry up water damage. But, unfortunately, sometimes the unseen water in your home or office can cause the most problems. Hidden behind walls, cabinets or under flooring can be pooled water or moisture that will cause greater health risks to your home and family later on. Here at SERVPRO® of Salem/Plaistow, we have the tools to see that hidden damage and help stop potential problems. Some of those tools are that can be used to help you are:
- Moisture Sensors – these will detect moisture in carpet, walls, and baseboards.
- Moisture Meters – these determine the level of moisture in materials. These can either penetrate or not the materials, depending on what they are to help monitor the progress of drying throughout the job.
- Thermohygrometers – these devices help monitor the temperature and relative humidity in the air. These two are a large part in the drying process and help SERVPRO® of Salem/Plaistow team members determine how to adjust the process along the way.
- Infrared Cameras – this helps identify the areas that have hidden moisture and document its location. These cameras identify temperature differences in materials from where the areas are cooling (water has been evaporating) and where it is still affected by the moisture.
Our goal is helping homeowners and business owners alike return their home to “Like it never even happened.” When in doubt, call SERVPRO® of Salem/Plaistow to walk you through each step of restoring your home to preloss conditions..
SERVPRO Celebrates Entrepreneurship in Recognition of Small Business Week 2017
From April 30 to May 6, 2017, America will celebrate Small Business Week, an annual event sponsored by the U.S. Small Business Association (SBA). According to Gregg White, owner of SERVPRO of Salem/Plaistow, Small Business Week is an opportunity for national and community leaders to recognize the critical contributions of America’s entrepreneurs and small business owners to the country’s economy. White emphasizes there is nothing “small” about small business when it comes to its importance to the nation’s economic health. According to statistics from the SBA, 28 million small businesses in America account for 54 percent of all U.S. sales; of those 28 million businesses, the 600,000 U.S. franchised small businesses, like SERVPRO, account for 40 percent of all retail sales and provide jobs for some eight million people. As these local business people work to grow their businesses, they help create 21st century jobs, drive innovation, and increase America’s global competitiveness.
For entrepreneurs like White, becoming a franchise owner is one path to small business ownership. “Entrepreneurship is at the heart of a successful small business—the drive to own and
grow a business through your own efforts,” said Sue Steen, SERVPRO Industries, Inc., chief executive officer. “Franchise organizations like SERVPRO give entrepreneurs a framework for their ambitions, access to state-of-the-art tools and processes, and a road map for sound financial management and growth.”
Some franchised small businesses offer entrepreneurs an opportunity to own and run their own small business while providing a service to the community they live and work in. With SERVPRO, for example, franchise ownership helps entrepreneurs combine their hometown knowledge and the emotional investment they have with their community with access to the latest disaster remediation technology and products. This combination creates a community asset that could prove invaluable to home and business owners who are struck by the unexpected. "I’m proud to be a small business owner in my community,” says White. “But, as a SERVPRO small business owner, I know that the unexpected can happen – a flood, a fire, an explosion, a storm, a mudslide, whatever the event might be – big or small. When the unexpected does happen, I’m also proud to know that my staff and I are ready to respond immediately and effectively to limit the damage to property and disruption to lives in my community. Having both an emotional and financial stake in the community is what distinguishes small businesses with local owners from other businesses. And that’s what makes small businesses such an important thread in the fabric of this country.”
SERVPRO of Salem/Plaistow specializes in disaster restoration, cleanup and repair services,
helping to remediate damage, making it “Like it never even happened,” for both commercial and
residential customers. For more information on SERVPRO of Salem/Plaistow, please contact
603-893-9700 or office@SERVPROoflawrence.com.
Founded in 1967, the SERVPRO
Franchise System is a leader and provider of fire and water cleanup and restoration services and mold mitigation and remediation. SERVPRO’s professional services network of more than 1,700 individually owned and operated Franchises responds to property damage emergencies ranging from small individual disasters to multi-million dollar largeloss events. Providing coverage in the United States and Canada, the SERVPRO®
System has established relationships with major insurance companies and commercial clients, as well as individual homeowners.
Mold Remediation in a Salem, NH Home
Believe it or not, mold problems like this can be mitigated with the right expertise and equipment.
This Salem business discovered extensive mold growth in their home, thanks to leaking pipe that went undetected. Businesses are always at risk for mold infestations, especially if they are leasing older buildings that may need repairs.
SERVPRO of Salem/Plaistow worked around the clock to remediate the problem, so that business could be restored as quickly and seamlessly as possible. We know that commercial mold infestations can cost a business thousands of dollars in productivity; it is always our goal to get you back up and running right away.
If You See Visible Mold
If you see visible mold, do not disturb it. You can inadvertently spread the mold infestation throughout your home. When mold is disturbed, the mold can release microscopic mold spores which become airborne and can circulate inside your home.
What to Do:
- Stay out of affected areas.
- Turn off the HVAC system and fans.
- Contact SERVPRO of Salem/Plaistow for mold remediation services.
What Not to Do:
- Don’t touch or disturb the mold.
- Don’t blow air across any surfaces with visible or suspected mold growth.
- Don’t attempt to dry the area yourself.
- Don’t spray bleach or other disinfectants on the mold.
About Our Mold Remediation Services
SERVPRO of Salem/Plaistow specializes in mold cleanup and restoration, in fact, it’s a cornerstone of our business. Our crews are highly trained restoration professionals that use specialized equipment and techniques to properly remediate your mold problem quickly and safely.
If You See Signs of Mold, Call Us Today – 603-893-9700