Mold in Sandown Causes Concern
This Sandown, NH family discovered extensive microbial growth in their home, thanks to a leaking pipe that went undetected for months.
This Sandown, NH family discovered extensive microbial growth in their home, thanks to a leaking pipe that went undetected for months. Believe it or not, mold problems like this can be mitigated with the right expertise and equipment to prevent further structural or health problems. SERVPRO of Salem/Plaistow has trained technicians, crew chiefs, and production managers that were able to test and remove the mold growth, and then restore the space to preloss conditions. The family was very grateful that we were able to recover their home and protect them from any potential health effects.
The Mold Remediation Process
Every mold infestation is different from the next, from the extent and type of growth, to the variety of materials affected. Each scenario requires a unique solution, but the general process stays the same. When you discover mold, call us at 603-893-9700 and we will go through our standard mold remediation process to help you and your family:
- Inspection and Mold Damage Assessment
- Mold Containment
- Air Filtration
- Removing Mold and Mold-Infested Materials
- Cleaning Contents and Belongings
Life can be unpredictable, but knowing who to call is half the battle. As always, contact SERVPRO of Salem/Plaistow at 603-893-9700 to help make it “Like it never even happened.”
Looking for: SERVPRO® of Salem/Plaistow Production Technician
Are you highly dependable and super-excited about routinely exceeding expectations? Then you may be our perfect hero!
Our Franchise is seeking someone who is comfortable working hard in challenging situations, enjoys meeting new people, has excellent communication skills, and is a serious multi-tasker. If you are self-motivated and have superb interpersonal skills, then you’ll thrive in this work environment. Are you highly dependable and super-excited about routinely exceeding expectations? Then you may be our perfect hero! As a valued SERVPRO® Franchise employee, you will receive a competitive pay rate, with opportunity to learn and grow. Primary Responsibilities Inventory and load the work vehicle with equipment, products, and supplies needed for each project.Maintain a clean and organized vehicle and clean equipment appearance.Prepare rooms/areas for work activities. Set up staging area and equipment for each project.Leave jobsite with a clean and orderly appearance.Perform production processes following SERVPRO® production guidelines per work order per crew chief directions.Ensure clear two-way communication with crew chief and other technicians (especially regarding customer needs and concerns).Perform end-of-day/end-of-job cleanup and breakdown. Leave jobsite with a clean and orderly appearance.Position Requirements Effective oral communicationBasic math skillsExperience in cleaning/restoration preferredHigh school diploma/GEDIICRC certifications preferredAbility to lift a minimum of 50 pounds regularly, occasionally up to 100 pounds with assistanceAbility to climb ladders, work at ceiling heights, work in tight spaces (e.g., crawls spaces, attics)Ability to sit/stand/walk for prolonged periods of timeAbility to repetitively push/pull/lift/carry objectsAbility to work with/around cleaning products/chemicalsAbility to travel locally and out of state when necessaryAbility to successfully complete a background check subject to applicable law Pay Rate: Negotiable based on experience, with possibility of overtime pay and increases based on merit. Please visit our website, www.SERVPROsalemplaistow.com, for additional information. Job Type: Full-time Required license or certification: Drivers License
SERVPRO® of Salem/Plaistow is an EOE M/F/D/V employer
A Network of Resources to Help Your Water Damaged Home
We at SERVPRO® of Salem/Plaistow have a network of other franchises to pull in the equipment, resources and man power needed to help the large losses.
When water damage happens, knowing who to call is the first step in relieving some of the stress. But when a flooding occurs? It is even better to know that we at SERVPRO® of Salem/Plaistow have a network of other franchises to pull in the equipment, resources and man power needed to help the large losses. Here are 5 examples of how we were able to support each other across the country.
- The Siberian Express in 2015 created record breaking sub-zero temperatures and broken pipes from Florida to Maine. 257 crews helped during these ice dams, with even SERVPRO of Lawrence working with teams from Alabama and Tennessee to help our homeowners.
- In April of 2016, Houston was engulfed in 2-4 inches of rain per hour. Eighty-one crews produced over 360 jobs in this historic event that left Harris County with 18 inches of rain.
- Over 830 jobs were created in 2016 during the Louisiana Flooding. Twenty + inches of rain caused rivers and other waterways to rise and flood Southern Louisiana. At least 185 crews from across the country helped get the community back in their pre storm condition.
- Hurricane Matthew in caused flooding the East Coast from Florida to North Carolina. One hundred sixty-nine crews mitigated over $7.5 million worth of damage to business owners and homeowners alike.
- Lastly, in East Tennessee, one of the largest wildfires in history struck the Great Smokey Mountains. Over 17,000 acres burned, and twelve crews came to the rescue to help the seventy families and businesses get the fire damage and soot under control.
SERVPRO® of Salem/Plaistow and these other teams can make any disaster “Like it never even happened.” We are there, no matter how big or small, call us 24/7/365 at 978-688-2242.
Limiting the Damage to Your Salem, NH Home after a Fire
We provide timely response with mitigation services ranging from fire, smoke and soot removal to contents claims inventory and document restoration.
The first 48 hours after fire damage can make the difference between restoring versus replacing your property and personal belongings. SERVPRO® of Salem/Plaistow can help prevent fire damage from creating long-term problems. We provide timely response with mitigation services ranging from fire, smoke and soot removal to contents claims inventory and document restoration. We will work neatly and efficiently to help you regain control of your property when a damaging event has taken over. They will use state-of-the-art restoration techniques to ensure your property is taken care of right the first time and are restored to preloss condition when possible.
- Limit movement to prevent further damage
- Place clean towels or old linens on carpeted traffic areas to prevent more soiling
- If electricity is off, empty freezer and refrigerator and prop doors open
- Clean and protect chrome on kitchen and bathroom faucets and appliances with light coating of petroleum jelly
- Don’t attempt to wash any walls or painted surfaces without first contacting SERVPRO®
- Don’t attempt to shampoo carpet or upholstered furniture without first consulting SERVPRO®
- Don’t attempt to clean any electrical appliances that may have been close to fire or water damage without consulting a repair service.
- Place aluminum foil or wood blocks between furniture legs and wet carpet
- Do not send clothing to a dry cleaner since improper cleaning may set smoke odor.
So before you risk doing further damage by attempting to clean up the damage yourself, call the fire damage cleanup and restoration professionals at (603) 893-9700. SERVPRO® of Salem/Plaistow has worked for over 40 years to help make fire damage “Like it never even happened.”
Tips to Follow if You Travel During Hurricane Season
You can see a storm coming by the change in color of the sky (often greenish), large hail, low-flying clouds and a roar like a freight train.
June is the start of Hurricane Season. Below are some tips to follow whether you own a home, RV, boat, car or all of them! You can see a storm coming by the change in color of the sky (often greenish), large hail, low-flying clouds and a roar like a freight train.
- It is best to have a plan in place regarding where you are going to go when a hurricane hits. While they may be intriguing to watch, the best place is NOT outside. Your basement or under a set of stairs are great places to wait out the storm. If this is not available, the bottom floor of any building will work.
- Keep your car indoors if possible. Tape up the windows and door with tarps and keep away from any objects that could damage the car if they were to fall on top of it.
- During an emergency, gas stations will often be closed, so always make sure you have at least half a tank of gas to get away instantly
- Have enough supplies on hand to wait out 72 hours, just in case help cannot arrive right away. These supplies can also be stored in the trunk (items like a first aid kit, bottled water, non-perishable foods, and medication can stay there at all times.)
- Make sure your car is in proper shape. Have a full tank of gas, wiper blades and tires are ready to go.
- Make sure your cell phone is charged and keep your charger with you.
- Avoid driving in deep waters
- For your boat, remove non-secure items, electronics, excess gear, valuable, and important documents.
- Make sure all openings are clear of debris
- Double all lines that are securing your boat to its securing space
- With your RV, do not drive it during the storm as it is more vulnerable to higher/stronger winds
- Make sure you have a full tank of gas, but empty holding tanks, turn off propane cylinders and cover the regulator.
- Make sure all documents are in a waterproof bag and with you at all times
Life can be unpredictable, but having plans in place help you with whatever may come. For more information, please check out these hurricane tips. As always, once the storm passes, contact your SERVPRO of Salem/Plaistow to help make it “Like it never even happened.”
What Our Tools Do for Behind the Scenes
The meters can determine if materials are wet below the surface, potentially causing more damage that you are unaware of.
You have been away for two weeks on vacation, you arrive home at 9pm on a Sunday night and what do you want do? Probably get home, relax, and call it a night. But when you walk in and a pipe has burst while you are gone? That changes everything.
In order to save money, people can sometimes use their own tools to stop and dry up water damage. But, unfortunately, sometimes the unseen water in your home or office can cause the most problems. Hidden behind walls, cabinets or under flooring can be pooled water or moisture that will cause greater health risks to your home and family later on. Here at SERVPRO® of Salem/Plaistow, we have the tools to see that hidden damage and help stop potential problems. Some of those tools are that can be used to help you are:
Moisture Sensors – these will detect moisture in carpet, walls, and baseboards.
- Moisture Meters – these determine the level of moisture in materials. These can either penetrate or not the materials, depending on what they are to help monitor the progress of drying throughout the job.
- Thermohygrometers – these devices help monitor the temperature and relative humidity in the air. These two are a large part in the drying process and help SERVPRO® of Salem/Plaistow team members determine how to adjust the process along the way.
- Infrared Cameras – this helps identify the areas that have hidden moisture and document its location. These cameras identify temperature differences in materials from where the areas are cooling (water has been evaporating) and where it is still affected by the moisture.
Our goal is helping homeowners and business owners alike return their home to “Like it never even happened.” When in doubt, call SERVPRO® of Salem/Plaistow to walk you through each step of restoring your home to preloss conditions..
Small Business Week
From left to right: Raeann Pellerin, Gregg White, Christina Robertson, Gary Kurgan, Steven Fumero, Mitch Cardona, Eric White, Brian White, and Nicole
From April 29 to May 5, 2018, America will celebrate Small Business Week, an annual event sponsored by the U.S. Small Business Association (SBA). According to Gregg White, owner of SERVPRO of Salem/Plaistow, Small Business Week is an opportunity for national and community leaders to recognize the critical contributions of America’s entrepreneurs and small business owners to the country’s economy. White emphasizes there is nothing “small” about small business when it comes to its importance to the nation’s economic health. According to statistics from the SBA, 28 million small businesses in America account for 54 percent of all U.S. sales; of those 28 million businesses, the 600,000 U.S. franchised small businesses, like SERVPRO, account for 40 percent of all retail sales and provide jobs for some eight million people. As these local business people work to grow their businesses, they help create 21st century jobs, drive innovation, and increase America’s global competitiveness.
For entrepreneurs like White, becoming a franchise owner is one path to small business ownership. “Entrepreneurship is at the heart of a successful small business—the drive to own and grow a business through your own efforts,” said Sue Steen, SERVPRO Industries, Inc., chief executive officer. “Franchise organizations like SERVPRO give entrepreneurs a framework for their ambitions, access to state-of-the-art tools and processes, and a road map for sound financial management and growth.”
Some franchised small businesses offer entrepreneurs an opportunity to own and run their own small business while providing a service to the community they live and work in. With SERVPRO, for example, franchise ownership helps entrepreneurs combine their hometown knowledge and the emotional investment they have with their community with access to the latest disaster remediation technology and products. This combination creates a community asset that could prove invaluable to home and business owners who are struck by the unexpected. "I’m proud to be a small business owner in my community,” says White. “But, as a SERVPRO small business owner, I know that the unexpected can happen – a flood, a fire, an explosion, a storm, a mudslide, whatever the event might be – big or small. When the unexpected does happen, I’m also proud to know that my staff and I are ready to respond immediately and effectively to limit the damage to property and disruption to lives in my community. Having both an emotional and financial stake in the community is what distinguishes small businesses with local owners from other businesses. And that’s what makes small businesses such an important thread in the fabric of this country.”
SERVPRO of Salem/Plaistow specializes in disaster restoration, cleanup and repair services,
helping to remediate damage, making it “Like it never even happened,” for both commercial and
residential customers. For more information on SERVPRO of Salem/Plaistow, please contact
603-893-9700 or office@SERVPROoflawrence.com.
Founded in 1967, the SERVPRO Franchise System is a leader and provider of fire and water cleanup and restoration services and mold mitigation and remediation. SERVPRO’s professional services network of more than 1,700 individually owned and operated Franchises responds to property damage emergencies ranging from small individual disasters to multi-million dollar largeloss events. Providing coverage in the United States and Canada, the SERVPRO® System has established relationships with major insurance companies and commercial clients, as well as individual homeowners.
About Our Mold Remediation Services
When mold is disturbed, the mold can release microscopic mold spores which become airborne and can circulate inside your home or business.
This Salem business discovered extensive mold growth in their place of work, thanks to leaking pipe that went undetected. Businesses are always at risk for mold infestations, especially if they are leasing older buildings that may need repairs.
SERVPRO of Salem/Plaistow worked around the clock to remediate the problem, so that business could be restored as quickly and seamlessly as possible. We know that commercial mold infestations can cost a business thousands of dollars in productivity; it is always our goal to get you back up and running right away.
If You See Visible Mold
If you see visible mold, do not disturb it. You can inadvertently spread the mold infestation throughout your home or business. When mold is disturbed, the mold can release microscopic mold spores which become airborne and can circulate inside your home or business.
What to Do:
- Stay out of affected areas.
- Turn off the HVAC system and fans.
- Contact SERVPRO of Salem/Plaistow for mold remediation services.
What Not to Do:
- Don’t touch or disturb the mold.
- Don’t blow air across any surfaces with visible or suspected mold growth.
- Don’t attempt to dry the area yourself.
- Don’t spray bleach or other disinfectants on the mold.
SERVPRO of Salem/Plaistow specializes in mold cleanup and restoration, in fact, it’s a cornerstone of our business. Our crews are highly trained restoration professionals that use specialized equipment and techniques to properly remediate your mold problem quickly and safely.
If You See Signs of Mold, Call Us Today – 603-893-9700
Preparing Your Business for the Unexpected
When it comes to your business, it is your pride and joy. You pray that a disaster never strikes, ruining all of your hard work.
The ERP also establishes your SERVPRO of Salem/Plaistow as your disaster restoration provider, giving you access to over 40 years of experience.
When it comes to your business, it is your pride and joy. You pray that a disaster never strikes, ruining all of your hard work.
Questions that run through your mind when disaster strikes, but is helpful to think of before that:
- Do you have an emergency plan in place? Does your staff know about it?
- Can you access your business records if they were destroyed?
“Small business owners invest a tremendous amount of time, money and resources to make their ventures successful, yet, many owners fail to properly plan and prepare for disaster situations." An estimated 50% of business do not reopen after a disaster has happened.
Creating a business plan for disaster will help protect employees, shorten the amount of time you may have to be out of work, and possibly lessen the financial impact it will have on you.
- Identify critical business systems – how long can they be down and what is needed to keep everything functioning.
- Create an emergency communication plan with all those who have a stake in your business.
- Build a supply kit that will keep your business and employees safe should you be at work when disaster strikes
- Work with SERVPRO of Salem/Plaistow to build an Emergency Ready Profile. This will provide the information for all emergency personnel that need to be contacted when disaster strikes and when our Team arrives on site, it gives the knowledge of your building before we even step in the door. This provides efficient and faster service for you!
For more information on how to help prepare your business for disaster, please contact us at 978-688-2242 or SERVPRO of Salem/Plaistow.
Mold Remediation: Why We Use Containment
It should be placed as close to the source of invasion as possible while still permitting us to gain access and accomplish our work.
This information was taken fromRestoration and Remediation, an online magazine. It is beneficial to share information with you regarding mold and why we use containment in the remediation process.
"The great mold warriors we meet and work with on a daily basis all have a common advantage- like the greatest generals in history, they know their enemy. More specifically they know and understand that the greatest strength of their enemy is its invisibility.
Before your own battle begins, you have to understand that you must strategically approach the enemy by devising systems to discover, collect, and contain it which will work despite your inability to visualize its presence.
Erecting containment and generating and directing the air flow within that containment will enable us to win the air war, by controlling the enemy's movement.
Where is the most strategic location of this containment? It should be placed as close to the source of invasion as possible while still permitting us to gain access and accomplish our work.
Taken to its extreme, if it allows you to do what you need, it can be as small as a glove bag over a pipe, such as is used by our asbestos warrior brethren.
One of the most common flaws in mold remediation projects is a containment structure that is larger than it needs to be: Larger containments require more equipment for managing airflow, have more possible leak points, and require more time and effort to decontaminate prior to de-mobilization. While erecting a containment, one must carefully balance the trade-offs between size and work access.
To do so, one can rely on the knowledge of experienced mold warriors and follow the established principles."
When mold affects your home, call SERVPRO of Salem/Plaistow to help guide you through the process. From bringing in an Industrial Hygienist, to cleaning, to disinfecting, we will be here.